Hidden curtain rods
Cornices of various sizes, configurations, are used to hang curtains over windows, in other places of the room. They are made wall or ceiling. The hidden cornice is mounted to a suspended, suspended ceiling, at the very top of the wall, being an almost imperceptible detail. Unlike traditional pendant elements, this item is easy to fit into any of the existing interior styles.
Features of using hidden cornices in the interior
The ceiling cornice is designed to support, fix the curtains, while blending well with the existing or just being created interior. A hidden cornice allows you to completely cover the entire wall with a curtain. It seems that the curtains "flow" directly from the middle of the ceiling, the junction of the wall with the ceiling.
This design does not split the space vertically, which is especially useful when the room is low. The product is also suitable for high, multi-level ceilings. The construction does not need to be mounted only along the wall with the window - it will become an excellent dividing element (in a studio apartment, a room with a bay window, a niche), if necessary, removed by a slight movement of the hand.
The main plus of the hidden design is that it is completely hidden in the ceiling, while being invisible. An ordinary cornice must be carefully selected for various elements of the situation: ceiling decor, furniture, the curtain itself, etc. The hidden one is devoid of such drawbacks - it is simply absent as a visible detail of the interior, which “unloads” the room, makes it more spacious. Another advantage is the possibility of installing a hidden backlight, simultaneously with the cornice. Any kind of curtains is hung on a ceiling object of such a plan - from very thin to heavy, dense. It is important only to carefully fix the product on the ceiling, to choose the appropriate material of manufacture. A hidden object gives the room a very aesthetic appearance.
The cons of the element are only two - the complexity of the installation and the difficulty of replacing. When creating a stretch ceiling, you need to decide in advance where to hang the cornice, install mortgage bars in this place, and only then stretch the fabric or film of the ceiling structure.
Varieties of hidden cornices
There are several varieties of “hidden” constructions that differ from each other in their fastening and material of manufacture:
- strings - cheap, but not practical, since they can only withstand light tulle curtains;
- multi-row - suitable for two or three types of curtains at the same time;
- round rod - used in wide niches;
- flexible - a great option for separating corners, bay windows.
The suspension is made in the form of a tire mounted on the ceiling in a specially made niche - for this they make a frame. The suspended, stretch ceiling here does not reach the wall a little, although from a distance it is imperceptible. For tension structures, single-row, double-row, three-row cornices are used. They are mounted at the same time as the stretchable ceiling, as this cannot be done later. For drywall options, direct and flexible products are used, which are given a different shape - crescent, waves, etc. Mounting the cornice on the suspended ceiling is also carried out in a niche, but it can be installed simultaneously with the latter or later.
Hidden cornices are made of the following materials:
- natural wood;
Plastic is suitable for light, veil or cotton curtains in the kitchen, bedroom, nursery. Aluminum and wood are able to withstand heavy loads, because they are mounted in the hall, in the kitchen combined with the living room, they are made out with curtains made of heavy fabrics, with many folds, lambrequins, pickups. The color of the hidden elements is usually white, less often - gray, brown, black. Kohler does not matter, since the cornice is not visible at all.
Options, installation features
Installation of a suspended structure requires a niche that is closed on three sides - it is performed at the stage of assembling the ceiling from drywall. The curtain should be fixed as follows: at a distance of about 20-25 cm from the wall with the window, furniture corners are attached to the concrete ceiling slab, and a timber made of wood is attached to them using screws or anchors. The center of the beam is determined, there they fix a special wall baguette, which hides the beam. Next, the middle of the niche where the hidden cornice is nailed is determined.
Another option is to mount on the ceiling not a beam, but a steel rolling corner. Next, ceiling guides are attached to the corner, a level relative to the walls on which the canvas will be stretched is outlined. The curtain can be installed before the installation of the beam, if the ceiling mount is selected. It is not necessary to design a niche itself, you can only set the backlight, if it is provided for in the project.
Mounting in a stretch ceiling
A niche is also made in the stretch ceiling, which is desirable to foresee at the design stage. Recess Dimensions:
- width - suspended curtains should not touch the window sill, “lie” on the battery. If you plan to install the backlight, this is also taken into account;
- length - the most acceptable - from wall to wall or 25-30 cm longer than the window in each direction.
A wooden beam is fixed a few centimeters from the place of installation of the cornice, then the curtain is suspended, a baguette is nailed to the wooden part, on which the ceiling canvas is stretched later (after installing the curtain suspension). The cornice is attached to the ceiling itself, made of concrete or wood.
In the ceiling niche, in addition to the suspension itself, it is easy to hide all the extra wires, some other communications.
Self-installation: tools, materials
The installation price of the master is composed of:
- the complexity of the shape of the product;
- type of ceiling;
- forms of cornice;
- manufacturing material;
- number of rows;
- the presence of additional functions (for example, mounting an electric drive).
As a result, the cost is relatively large, because to save the cornice set independently, this will require:
- the curtain itself;
- narrow, sharp hacksaw (a special one is suitable for cutting knots);
- metal roulette;
- long metal profile or ruler;
- plumb line;
- double-sided clerical knife;
- peeling plane for processing the edges of drywall;
- a simple pencil for marking;
- hammer drill;
- rubber spatula;
- paint and brush;
- reinforcing corners;
- putty, primer;
Installation of drywall box
Gypsum plasterboards have a small mass, therefore they are optimally suitable for creating all kinds of ceiling structures, including niches for the built-in cornice. Plasterboard sheets are cut into strips of 15-20 cm wide. There are several cutting options (straight, double-sided, uneven, round holes), but the usual straight line is preferred.
The required size is marked on both sides of the sheet, a ruler (steel profile) is applied, the top layer is carefully cut through it. Next, put the material with an edge, tap it where there is no cut, the gypsum core breaks, the second, cardboard side, cut with a knife or sawn.
For installation of the box purchase:
- a sufficient amount of drywall;
- steel ceiling profile, the dimensions of which are 2.7 by 6.0 by 300 cm;
- curtain rail for the ceiling - wooden or aluminum, measuring 2.8 by 2.7 by 300 cm;
- electric drill;
- screws, dowels or staples.
Work is carried out in the following order:
- measured the distance from the window sill, the wall with the window, the protruding radiator;
- add to the resulting number an allowance of ten cm, so that the curtains move freely in a niche;
- then a line is drawn, it is drawn parallel to the wall, which will be the edge of the future niche;
- in accordance with the line, guides are attached, the distance between the dowels in this case is 60-75 cm;
- for assembly of the sidewalls of the box, the strips of drywall are screwed to the guides, the step between the fixing elements is 10-15 cm;
- on the ends of the box mark the perimeter, fix the screws, placing the profiles in the direction of the walls of the room;
- plasterboard strips are cut with a hacksaw - the sidewalls of a niche, they process the ends with a plane;
- with the help of ceiling profiles, the crate is assembled, the interval is 40-50 cm;
- then they sew up the bottom of the box, in accordance with the dimensions of the niche, it is permissible to create sidewalls from glass, transparent plastic.
Designers are invited to make the edges of the box not straight, but waved, broken.
Plasterboard Niche Sheathing
According to the location in space, a niche made of drywall happens:
- on a separate, lowest tier by the window, if the ceiling is multi-level;
- in the form of a box along all walls - this creates the effect of a two-level ceiling;
- like a special box near the window.
During work on the casing, all the screws and other fasteners must be “drowned” in drywall - the caps should not protrude. After the hole with fasteners, the joints of the drywall sheets are plastered, and sometimes completely cover the entire box with a primer. The internal corners are treated with a rubber spatula - to simplify the finish, it is allowed to place corners of aluminum and plastic in them. Corners must be pressed into the putty layer.
When the putty dries, all the corners are carefully ground with fine sandpaper, the dust is removed, the niche is painted in a suitable color. To diversify the interior, even before installing the cornice, neon tubes, halogen lamps, LED strips are mounted in a niche. With such details, the room will become more comfortable, and curtains, especially plain ones, will “float” in the air.
Tip: before starting the cladding, the place where the cornice will be located, it is necessary to mark, install mortgages, dowels under it.
The main disadvantage of drywall is its low strength, if the load falls on one point, therefore it is permissible to hang only light objects directly on the drywall surface. The fastening here is made by Molly bolts specially designed for hollow structures. If it is planned to hang heavier products, under the drywall, a mortar beam is mounted directly on the ceiling, onto which the cornice is later screwed. This should be done before the drywall construction is assembled.
Therefore, the cornice is usually mounted in a niche, on self-tapping screws and dowels, pendants, brackets. The standard ceiling is made of concrete, a place under the cornice is pre-marked, indicate the middle. When the eaves are tire-mounted, holes are usually already made in it; if not, they must be drilled. For three-four-row tires, the holes are made in two rows, the ceiling is also drilled, the middle of the cornice is fixed with a dowel-nail, the edges are fixed in the same way. When installing on wooden ceilings, self-tapping screws are used instead of dowels-nails.
Ceiling plinth, as an option to hide the cornice
Decorating the ceiling with a skirting board or baguette is an original way to completely hide the place where the curtain joins the ceiling. Illumination is often placed there - the bulbs themselves, LED strips will be invisible, the observer will only see their light. The backlight itself is hiding in a niche, parallel to the curtain ledge, decorating the space of the room.
The baguette itself is executed:
- wooden - decorated with carvings, painted with stain, paint, found in art deco and classic styles;
- metal - is an even shiny ribbon, well suited for interiors high-tech, industrial;
- polystyrene foam - is white, painted, smooth or textured, ideal for minimalism, modern style;
- from plaster - such a border is made extremely rarely, as it is difficult to perform, heavy in weight, suitable for baroque and antiquity.
Framing guides - plastic, steel, aluminum, sometimes - string. Usually, such a curtain is attached in almost the same way as other options. Fasteners on the embedded beam are possible - then the cornice, which in good condition is clearly visible, hides behind a decorative baseboard, which can be chosen by anyone.
Secret ceiling eaves - a convenient, practical element of a modern interior, suitable for any room. You can embed an “invisible” object anywhere in the room. Invited specialists will help, but if there is a certain knack, the installation is done on their own - the most detailed master classes are easy to find on the Internet.