How to drag a chair with your own hands
Upholstered furniture is bought for a year or two, but for longer periods. But over time, it gradually loses its appearance, is wiped, requires replacement. Those who do not want to part with a familiar object try to drag an armchair and a sofa with their own hands, using step-by-step master classes from the Internet or their own “best practices”.
Types of armchairs
There are many different types of chairs, differing in the level of comfort, cost, methods of placement in space. The design is an “improved chair” with a soft back, covered with textiles, leather, leatherette, fur, and a seat, in some cases, armrests, a footrest, and a mechanism for swinging.
The main classification is as follows:
- as intended - for rest (interior), for work (office);
- by design features - with a rigid frame, not having a frame;
- at the place of installation - in the living room, in the garden or on the veranda, office (computer), gaming (gaming).
The design of the item itself is also different, there are:
- the usual ones are installed on four legs, have a soft back, armrests, coffee stands, poufs, and other details that provide maximum comfort;
- armchairs-beds - designed for cramped rooms, significantly saving space. It is not recommended to sleep on such furniture constantly, but it is possible to lay on it the remaining unforeseen guest to spend the night, as well as use it in a summer residence;
- Rocking chairs - are performed classic (on skis), with a pendulum mechanism (have a fixed base), spring (rattan rockers "Papsan"), as well as "Viennese chairs" (skids are connected in a closed circle);
- Recliners are particularly comfortable, expensive models that can fully fold out and have a footrest. Transformed manually or using an electric drive. Sometimes a ventilation system, a minibar, a vibromassage, etc .;
- hanging - it can be a hammock, an “egg”, a ball, a “cocoon”. Suspension is made on the ceiling, wall, rack, beam.
Frame models are made of natural wood, metal, plywood, particleboard, plastic. Usually several materials are used simultaneously. Frameless options are pillow bags filled with foam balls, syntepuh. There are also transformable, lightweight inflatable items.
DIY constriction features
Anyone who decides to remodel the old chair into a more modern one is completely free to choose the materials and stylistics of the future design. Before starting work, you should decide in which room the product will be placed, who will use it. For the nursery, “cheerful” colors are selected, but not soiled, natural fabrics. The kitchen uses materials that do not absorb liquids and odors. It is important that the updated item fits optimally into the existing interior. Depending on the design of upholstered furniture, the accuracy of the master, its repair will take from a couple of hours to several days.
Updating old, rare objects of historical value should be very careful, sometimes it’s worthwhile to entrust such a thing to specialists.
Advantages and disadvantages
The hand-made banner of home, office furniture has many advantages:
- significant budget savings - it’s easier to buy a couple of meters of textiles and a piece of foam, than a whole new chair;
- the creative process - an independent alteration of even the most simple, nondescript chair, will help you feel like a real master;
- the possibility of updating the interior - a freshly converted chair will be designed exactly as its owner intended;
- a quality restored product will last for many years.
There are several negative points:
- the product will be very different from the store - it matters if you want to create a specific model, but skills are not enough;
- the complexity of the process - if the armchair is badly damaged, it replaces not only the fabric, but also the "filling" - foam rubber, springs, while completely disassembling it;
- to work, you need some tools that are not available in every home;
- you will need to organize a workspace, which afterwards will have to be carefully cleaned, since the restoration process is quite dusty.
A modern variety of fabrics, non-woven materials will allow you to choose the best option for decoration of almost any design. Specialists divide the entire textile into nine types - from zero to eight, where the thinnest, cheapest, quick-wiping belong to the zero group, and the expensive, durable, and wear-resistant ones to the eighth group. They are made of natural, artificial, mixed fibers, and differ in the way weaves are woven. Non-woven materials are also used for upholstery.
The ideal upholstery should be:
- wear resistant;
- color fast;
Most popular options:
Some natural fabrics give significant (more than 10%) shrinkage, which should always be considered.
How to take measurements, calculate the amount of tissue
The easiest way to find out how much textile and foam rubber are needed for upholstery is to disassemble the item itself, remove the coating from it, and circle on a new piece of fabric. The disadvantage of this method is that during operation, the fabric could be very stretched. More accurately measured this way: take measurements directly from the chair itself, using a tape measure. Here, the width, length, and height of the soft part are taken into account, 10-15% of allowances are added to the results. A standard “home” armchair will require a piece of fabric measuring approximately 350 by 140 cm, and 170 by 140 cm for office design.
If the armchair is planned to be decorated with a gap, volumetric elements in a crease, 40-70% more material will be required. When a large pattern is applied to the textile, which will have to be combined in some places, it is also taken with a margin.
Necessary tools, materials for restoration work
To successfully repair the chair you will need:
- furniture stapler with a set of staples - for attaching fabric;
- foam rubber, batting - as a packing;
- mount - to remove old staples;
- screwdriver, pliers - to disassemble the product;
- hammer, adjustable spanner - to assemble the structure;
- sewing machine;
- chalk for fabric;
- sharp scissors;
- stain, varnish;
- sandpaper or grinder - for cleaning wooden parts from old varnish.
Do it yourself step-by-step instructions
Tug upholstered furniture begins with a complete disassembly of the product, inspection of existing damage. After it is measured, cut, the soft filler and fabric are fixed. The design is assembled, decorated at your own discretion. Before starting work, it is recommended to read the instructions on how to disassemble, sheathe the chair step by step.
Most of the old armchairs are made of wood or from materials such as chipboard, and fastenings are made on a tenon groove using steel corners, screws, wood glue. To disassemble the product, it is placed on the back, legs, armrests are unscrewed. Next, the bottom is disassembled, removing the brackets, other fasteners from it. Then, the upholstery is removed as accurately as possible, which must be disconnected without damaging it, since it will be needed to cut out a new cover.
When disassembling, it is important to remember where everything was attached, otherwise there will be difficulties with assembly.
Assessment, correction of damage
When the product is completely disassembled, all parts are disconnected, the fabric is removed, a thorough examination is made for cracks, chips, joint defects. If they are found, they are primarily occupied with them - broken parts are replaced with similar, home-made ones, loose joints are replaced. It is also necessary to assess the state of the packing - when the soft surface has serious irregularities, the material is torn or crumbles, it is removed, and a new one is beaten with brackets on the vacant spot. To make the edges look aesthetically pleasing, the corners of the foam rubber are cut, along the edge they make something like a chamfer.
Cutting, fastening a new fabric
It is necessary to tighten the armchair with previously properly cut material. Its amount is calculated based on the perimeter of the back, seat, height of the filler, a few centimeters of the hem on the back side of the structure. After measuring the product, a piece of matter of the right size is selected. The standard width of the fabric is 140-150 cm, the length depends on the size of the chair, the height of the back, the number of parts. If the design is folding, a small folding allowance is also necessary.
A standard set of items is something like this:
- the front of the back, the seat is sometimes made in the form of an integral part;
- back surface of the back;
- armrests - inner, outer parts;
- narrow strip along the bottom;
- individual designs require the presence of side parts of the armrests and the back.
All fabric parts are fastened together with pins, they are tried on a chair, if necessary, patterns are slightly adjusted. Then the elements are sewn on a sewing machine, the finished cover is put on the chair, tightly stretched, fixed with brackets in inconspicuous places. If the work is done manually, use the “sailing”, “jeans” seam. In the presence of an overlock, all seams are sewn on it - this will make the upholstery denser, protect the joints from creeping out.
If material with a pile is used, its direction on different parts of the structure must be monitored, since multidirectionality is too visible in the light.
Assembly, decoration of the updated product
The most difficult thing is to assemble a folding chair, as you will have to carefully secure the moving mechanisms without losing the bolts, without putting the part upside down. If the mechanism creaks, seizes, it is lubricated with machine oil. At the same stage, the wooden parts are processed - they are ground, tinted with stain, varnished. Legs, wooden armrests are screwed at the very end.
As a decor, pillows are most often used. They are sewn from the same fabric as the upholstery, made in contrast, decorated with embroidery, applique. If the product has many wooden parts, they are painted manually, patinated.
Nuances of restoration of seats with a spring mechanism
When spring blocks are in upholstered furniture, they are also capable of “failing” over time. Springs straighten with pliers, change the felt lining under them, if the latter is badly damaged. Sometimes the binding and shrinkage of the block itself is necessary - for this, jute twine and belts are used. If there is a lot of damage, the spring structure is completely removed, replacing with several layers of foam rubber or a more modern design, where each spring is in a separate durable case.
Padding office computer chair
In order to save the budget spent on updating the office environment, computer chair-chairs are also being restored with their own hands. If the frame is completely intact, only a constriction is required, giving the design an aesthetic appearance. Since the chair is used for many hours a day, the most wear-resistant, durable fabrics, as well as genuine leather, are selected for upholstery. Leatherette, fine textiles will become worthless in a matter of months.
Measurements are taken separately from the back, seats, their thickness, allowances for turning and seams are taken into account. If the filler is "leaky", foam rubber is additionally purchased. The product is disassembled with a screwdriver, the seat, backrest, armrests are disconnected. In the process, it is important not to lose all the cogs - it is better to put them in a box. Next, the upholstery is separated, in its place with new construction foam brackets attached. After the fabric is stretched - it is important that no wrinkles form on the surface. Now the armchair is going back.
How to sew seat covers
So that the furniture upholstery is not wiped, not damaged by children and pets, a cover is sewn on it. It is desirable that within the same room all objects are decorated with the same material - so the situation will not be fragmented. Fabrics use cotton, velor, as well as flock, chenille, microfiber.
The design solutions for wraps are very different - this is country and loft, Provence and shabby chic, high-tech and baroque. Typically, the cover completely covers the product, reaching the floor. Parts List:
- back - front, back, side;
- Seat - upper, front;
- armrests - two lateral, two end parts.
The patterns are encircled on fabric with allowances for a loose fit and seams, one or two cm. The details are sewn on the wrong side, the cover is turned out, tried on. If the model provides, a skirt-hem is sewn to the bottom. The latter is made multi-layered, lace, contrast (matching the color of the sides of the back and armrests), it will take a lot of fabric.
The cover is usually sewn from one or two shades of textile; more than three colors are not recommended.
It is very easy to restore an armchair yourself, any other piece of upholstered furniture, knowing the principles of work, having the right materials, tools. An old “Soviet” armchair or chair with a competent alteration will be able to serve without fail for another ten years, fitting perfectly into the modern interior.