Textured wall paint
The walls of a residential or office building, the rooms are decorated in different ways. They are pasted over with wallpaper, plastered, painted. Sometimes a modern material such as textured wall paint is used. When using the latter, it is easy to create a beautiful, voluminous surface, making the interior interesting, original.
Textured wall paint - features, characteristic
Textured paints are a dense, viscous, thick composition based on various polymers, acrylic. Components that create a relief are usually added to this mixture - they “scratch” the surface and add volume. The consistency of the material is many times thicker than that of other paints - oil, enamel, acrylic, water-based, so slightly different tools are used for application.
Similar mixtures are used for both internal and external cladding, finishing painting of the ceiling, walls, various elements. Textured compositions are a cross between ordinary paint and decorative putty, which allows to halve the repair time. The main goal of the material is not to align the plane, but to give it a beautiful texture.
Advantages, disadvantages of using for wall decoration
Textured coloring compounds have several advantages:
- they do not add acetone, other solvents, because the paint practically does not smell;
- the surface comes out resistant to mechanical damage, strong, durable;
- when exposed to open areas of the skin do not damage it, are easily removed;
- accurately align the formed plane, filling in small dents, cracks, cracks;
- the material is fireproof, vapor permeable, wearproof;
- the mixture is very resistant to high humidity, temperature changes, bacteria and fungi do not damage it;
- paint is easy to apply, expensive special tools, tools for work are not required;
- before painting the wall does not need to be puttied.
Disadvantages are also present:
- material consumption is high, especially if it is necessary to align the too “curved” wall;
- if any fragment of the surface needs repainting, the old coating is completely removed;
- the cost of such compounds is relatively high.
Textured paint purchased at the nearest hardware store, made independently. Additives are fine-grained marble, granite crumbs, quartz sand, sawdust, pieces of gas silicate, polymer fibers, modified starch. Many manufacturers also add components accelerating the drying of the coating to the mixture - from the application of a thick layer to its complete drying, a maximum of two hours passes. The small insoluble elements (sand, polymers) that make up the composition give the effect of waves, zigzags, roughness, and other volumetric options when applied.
A wonderful, but relatively expensive form of "bulk" paint is packaged in cylinders. The composition of the mixture is slightly different from that applied by brush or spatula. The spray can sent to the plane to be drawn allows you to get three-dimensional patterns that simulate wood, natural stone, sand, etc. The material is convenient to use, its consumption is very small, the effect exceeds all expectations.
All types of textured dyes do not need to align the plane before application, which greatly simplifies the process.
Types of fillers in the paint
Almost any walls are made out with structural paints - concrete, brick, wooden, covered with fiberglass, etc. The material itself always contains one of the fillers:
- Acrylic - the most wear-resistant, fully ready for use, they are issued all kinds of surfaces. Such material is plastic, is based on water, there are no solvents in it. The main disadvantage is the lack of resistance to direct sunlight;
- mineral - completely dry, based on cement or lime. The composition is vapor permeable, moisture resistant, but does not tolerate sharp temperature changes. Before application, it is diluted with water, used mainly for interior decoration;
- silicone - is considered the most practical, since the composition includes silicone resin. The material is resistant to most external influences, plastic, used for both internal and external works;
- silicate - the most expensive, is applied only on the mineral plane, silicate primers. It contains liquid glass, which forms a vapor-tight film after drying. It is usually used to design facades, but its consumption is relatively large;
- vinyl - resistant to external influences, often used for exterior decoration (on building facades). The mixture is very plastic, because it is difficult to get a beautiful texture from it, but it grasps perfectly with any base.
Possible invoice options
The choice of textures of structural colors is limited, has several basic names, these are:
- “Marseille wax”;
- "Wet silk";
All of them have different properties, give a very different visual effect, have differences in application.
"Relief", which contains large solid particles, creates the texture of waves, "bark beetle", cracking, all kinds of smudges, etc. It is produced in several tones, applied with a roller, spatula.
"Misuri" - is performed using an acrylic filler, modified starch. Textured or even planes, smooth wavy elements are made of it. There are many colors, the finished wall comes out with a characteristic gloss, is applied exclusively by hand.
“Marseille wax” refers to dye mixtures with a wax filler. When the surface is ready, it resembles an aged, but shiny stone, with characteristic light, dark fragments. The coating perfectly protects against fumes, excessive humidity, suitable for decoration of elite, luxurious rooms.
The composition of the "wet silk" - cotton, cellulose fibers, polymer dyes. The finished wall has an average degree of "volume", but the patterns on it shimmer beautifully, resembling silk, velvet, velor, etc. Various brands are made in different colors.
“Atakama” comes out the most rough, as it contains quartz sand. The plane, decorated with this material, shines like metal, an old mirror, a sheet of steel, shimmers under the influence of lighting.
Variety of color palette
In the color palette, there are more than one and a half hundred various shades that allow you to design a room with any color scheme. All embossed options, as well as "misuri" - is a huge variety of tones, from white, pale yellow to red, maroon. “Atakama” is performed in “noble” silvery, golden, copper versions. “Marseille wax” is made of any wood shades, pink-beige, rich brown. "Shagreen" textures - silver-gray, black, almost white. "Wet silk" is the largest variety of colors, among which are blue, light brown, emerald, red, etc.
How to choose the right paint
Structural paints are one of the most popular finishing materials. They are applied in different ways and varieties for certain rooms also need different ones. Coloring mixtures for living rooms (bedrooms, halls, nurseries) are selected with the texture of silk, velvet, ceilings are recommended to be painted in bright colors, but the relief is best done the most minimal. Volumetric water emulsion is best suited.
Wet rooms of a bathroom, toilet, combined bathroom are decorated with waterproof compounds. In the kitchen, especially in the work area, the likelihood of contamination is high, it is recommended to use washable coatings. The outer parts of buildings of any type are often exposed to temperature extremes, the effects of precipitation, sunlight. For facades, the most resistant brands of dyes are used - vinyl is optimal, and acrylic is undesirable, since it fades in the sun in just one or two seasons.
Technologies, recommendations for self-application
For applying various types of textured paint, not only rollers, brushes are usually required - most likely other tools will be needed. Decorating with structural mixtures is possible even for a novice - the surface to be treated does not need to be thoroughly, laborious to level, although it is recommended to cover large “knolls”, dents, cracks, with a width of more than three to four mm with cement or epoxy putty.
The wall for painting is cleaned of dust, a layer of acrylic soil with deep penetration is applied. All work is performed in special gloves made of rubberized fabric. It is better to cover the floor, furniture with film, carpets, curtains, other textiles - remove. Then they proceed to staining - a set of tools, methods of application depend on the density of the composition, the final "idea" of the master.
Necessary materials, tools
To start finishing work, you will need various tools, materials, the list of which is very different from those used when painting with “simple” paints and varnishes. Of the materials you will need the paints themselves, primers to close up large bumps, cracks, protective varnish.
There are several ways of applying with your own hands, the following tools are used:
- terry rollers having a thick pile - painting using such an object is suitable for not very thick textured solutions. Structural rollers are very different in surface topography. If you want to paint the ceiling or the space under it, put the roller on a fishing rod stick of a suitable length;
- The original application of the roller is to wind a thick cord around it. As a result, when holding such an object along the wall, a texture resembling bamboo will be obtained;
- paint brushes - it is desirable to use the most rigid ones, since the composition is sufficiently “dense”, and the hardness and thickness of the bristles should be enough to create the most textured relief. Using a brush you can even draw a complex, voluminous, multi-color picture;
- spatulas of various widths - are used for applying thick dyes. When it is required to create waves, concentric circles, other intricate patterns, a spatula with a width of 7-14 cm is used. If the wall is planned to be smoother, the dimensions of the tool used reach 35-45 cm, the mixture is applied with asymmetric strokes;
- rubber spatula-comb - elastic, has many small teeth, with which it is easy to create the most complex ornaments, textures. The movements on the surface of the paint become uneven, long - it will turn out more beautiful;
- plastic bag - you just need to crumple it by printing it on a freshly painted wall. Crumpled newspapers and others are used in a similar way;
- various brushes, washcloths, brooms, rags, will also help create unique wall reliefs;
- sometimes textured compositions are applied with bare hands - a fantasy pattern comes out the most original. Drawing with fingers, palms does not require special tools, but after finishing work, you will have to wash your hands thoroughly;
- stencils - with their help, any surfaces are also easily, quickly formed. This is especially convenient if you use dyes in cans;
- Liquid dye bottles are one of the most convenient tools. It is easy to adjust the pressure in them, and it is advisable to purchase a nozzle with a diameter of at least three to four mm.
Before starting work on the surface for painting, it is necessary to prepare well:
- floors, ceilings are covered with a film, fixing it with tape, so that dirt, splashes do not fall on them;
- it is advisable to check the walls for resistance to vibration in order to prevent the coating from shedding during operation;
- old layers are completely removed, the plane is cleaned;
- in the presence of large cracks, potholes, plaster is applied first;
- to improve adhesion, an acrylic primer is applied to the wall, the color of which matches the color of the selected dye.
In the process of staining, you need to evenly distribute the material, it is desirable to use a paint roller. Each layer (plaster, paint, soil) must be dried for four to five hours. If the walls to be treated were once decided to be whitened, and now to be painted, then it is enough to remove and clean out those fragments that crumble.
Features, technologies for applying liquid paint
Liquid aqueous emulsion, acrylic compositions are applied with a foam sponge, roller, brushes, spray gun. Sometimes, to get the original texture, a cloth is wound tightly around the roller. Liquid solution is recommended to be applied from top to bottom to avoid sagging. During operation, it is better to use any one technique so that the entire wall, or better, the room is completely covered with a repeating pattern - so the effect is most aesthetic.
The first layer is applied to the wall with a wide brush, a simple roller. After that, a roller is used that has a complex texture (decorated with waves, colors, geometric shapes, “bricks”), own palms, crumpled polymer films, as well as contrasting colors of paints. If this is the first painting in life, work begins with the most inconspicuous areas - if the beginning does not turn out to be of too high quality, here the defects will hide behind furniture, decor, curtains.
When whitewashing is applied to the ceiling part, it is also permissible to create various patterns on top of it, using a brush and structural mixture. The easiest way to use stencils is reusable or disposable. When staining fiberglass, it is pre-primed to reduce water absorption.
The finish layer is preferably applied in the direction from the window.
Features, technology for applying dry paint
Dry coloring composition is diluted with water - a plastic bucket for 10-15 liters is suitable for this. Then the packaging with the building mixture opens, the container in which the mixing will be carried out is filled a little more than a third with dry paint. If you plan to add any pigments, then the coloring composition is poured no more than a quarter of a bucket. Further, following the instructions on the packaging, water is poured.
To make the solution as homogeneous as possible, without large lumps, it is mixed. This is done using a construction mixer or a special drill tip. Stir for at least 7-10 minutes. When the application is done with a large spatula, roller, part of the composition for convenience is poured into a wide bath. If polymer or any other particles having a diameter of one and a half to two or more mm are introduced into the dye, a rubber spatula is used for application - even or with frequent narrow teeth.
Coloring is done as follows:
- with a suitable tool you need to draw a little paint;
- the composition is spread on the wall with the usual wide spatula;
- the drawn-up area, on which a textured layer will be applied in a matter of minutes, should not exceed one or two square meters;
- the surface is carefully leveled, movements are made horizontally;
- with a notched trowel, any other similar object, patterns are applied to the wall - now strokes are applied in all directions, randomly.
The solution completely hardens in 12-15 minutes - it is extremely difficult to fix the pattern later, if there are defects.
How to care for wall decoration
Textured colors are little susceptible to the effects of water, moisture, constant high humidity. Walls covered with such paint are easily cleaned with water, a small amount of detergent. The impact of the latter is recommended to be checked in an inconspicuous area somewhere in the corner. There are practically no specialized detergents for such surfaces, so cleaning is carried out with soapy water, dishwashing detergents, and powders. After cleaning, the plane is rinsed with clean water, wiped dry with a clean rag.
Textured paint for interior, exterior design, perfectly "lays down" on the walls of any apartment, giving the rooms a beautiful, original appearance. Ready-made building material is easy to purchase in the store or do it yourself. Applying the dye on a flat, curved surface will not be difficult, as well as caring for the finished decorative finish.