Curtains on the grommets in the interior
Curtains create comfort in any room. Fashion for them is constantly changing, but the general trend is ease of use, functionality, beautiful appearance. Modern curtains on grommets meet all these requirements - it’s easy to hang such a product, as well as to do it yourself. These curtains easily fit into most interior styles.
The curtain on the grommets is a straight canvas, approximately corresponding to the height of the room (or only the window itself), the double width of the window opening. The product is sealed on top with a wide braid having holes in which the rings are neatly inserted. The latter are made of any size - the inner diameter should be slightly larger than the tube-shaped curtain rod on which the curtain is hung. Round parts are located at the same distance from each other, when the curtain is suspended, it drapes perfectly evenly, forming beautiful folds-folds.
The design of the product is very simple, but looks great in any room. It is important to choose the right material - translucent will make the space light, airy, heavier - it will protect from sunlight, prying eyes from the street. It is also permissible to use filament, multilayer curtains, of varying degrees of density. Strict vertical lines formed on the hanging drapery, perfectly fit into different interior styles.
The depth of the folds on the curtain depends on the distance between the grommets - the larger it is, the deeper the folds.
Advantages and disadvantages
The main advantages of curtains on grommets:
- move and slide apart without problems, without requiring additional devices, which compares them favorably with curtains on rings, hooks;
- it is easy to iron the product - it does not have assemblies, shuttlecocks, lace, representing a rectangular piece of fabric;
- hold well on the rod of the eaves, do not jump off, do not come off, even if you pull strongly;
- curtains are easy to remove if necessary to wash;
- the rings do not need to be disconnected during washing, but if snap parts are used, they can be removed.
But the disadvantages of the product also have:
- it is problematic to make multi-layer drapery, since two or more guides are required;
- not all matter is suitable for tailoring the product - some species give significant shrinkage, which immediately affects the appearance.
The construction is rarely installed in the ceiling niche - decorative rings are not visible in it, therefore this option does not make sense.
Eyelets are available in very different versions. In shape, round shapes are most popular - curly (in the form of squares, ovals, droplets, hearts, stars, flowers, curls, etc.) are used only for decorative purposes. The outer diameter of such a ring is 30-60 mm. For thick fabrics, items of the largest size are usually used. Various materials are used for manufacturing - stainless steel, brass, plastic, wood. The coloring is also made very different - for gold, silver, chrome, patinated detail, etc. The surface of the elements is usually smooth, but there are also iron parts with curls, textured patterns, rhinestones, pebbles.
Choice of eaves
When choosing a curtain cornice pay attention to:
- the style of the room - curtains with grommets have the simplest possible shape, so the appropriate weight is chosen;
- the length and width of the cornice compared to the window is not a heavy, bulky product in a small room, as it “steals” space. A short suspension makes the window narrower;
- a specific type of curtain - for light, thin fabrics, plastic is acquired, for heavier - metal;
- the total number of cornice levels - in the presence of a lambrequin, a cornice is needed double, if tulle is also provided, the design is acquired triple;
- workmanship, colors - wooden or “wood-like” suspension is selected if the room has wooden furniture. Iron goes well with the chrome legs of chairs, tables. Shod, having glass tips, approaches a crystal chandelier, etc.
A cornice string is an ideal solution for light translucent curtains with small rings.
Self-supporting cornice fasteners
A round curtain rod for grommets on grommets is usually fixed on the wall using self-tapping screws, dowels, and a perforator. For marking you will need a level, tape measure, pencil. Additionally, you need a stable stepladder. First, they evaluate the height at which the cornice will be placed - for this it is applied to the wall. The design must first be assembled by checking the completeness.
The brackets of a plastic or wooden product are hung on one dowel and self-tapping screw, heavy metal - on three. If the installation is done on a brick wall, wooden plugs will be required instead of dowels. For a suspension less than two meters long, two attachment points are enough, a three-four-meter one is fixed in three places (from two edges and in the middle).
Progress on installing the product on the wall:
- precise marking is made - the cornice needs to be hung very smoothly. To complete this step, you need a level, pencil, ruler. The distance from the edges of the window to the holders is made the same on both sides - this is necessary for a perfectly beautiful design of the window opening;
- after the pencil, holes for dowels are marked, drilled exactly according to the marking;
- the dowels are inserted into the holes made, the brackets are mounted - when the first one is fixed, a rod is inserted into it;
- other brackets are also fixed on self-tapping screws, while the distance from the fasteners to the floor, the edges of the window is constantly verified;
- when all parts are attached, decorative tips in the form of balls, peak, arrows, curls, etc. are attached to the edges of the bar;
- To suspend or remove the curtain, one of the tips is removed, the pipe is removed, eyelets-rings are put on it, and together with the curtain, the structure returns to its place.
How to sew curtains with eyelets yourself
For sewing you will need:
- tissue cut;
- sewing machine;
- suitable ring diameter;
- grommet tape (adhesive);
- threads to match the fabric
- sharp scissors
- ruler, iron tape measure.
Initially, the sides and bottom of the curtain are processed with a seam “in the hem”, the top is formed with a curtain tape. The upper edge is bent 9-11 cm inward, the grommet tape is glued, ironed, and sewed on top. Next, proceed to the installation of eyelets.
The most important moment when choosing a curtain fabric is its basic properties, texture, density. It is necessary to select textile material for the planned interior style, taking into account the purpose of the product. Typically, curtains are used to decorate, soften the line of the window, noise protection, light insulation, insulation of the room. Synthetic fabrics usually have a persistent color, while natural fabrics quickly fade in the sun.
The names of the draperies here are very different:
- tapestry - a dense natural material that perfectly blocks street light;
- velvet - heavy, voluminous, well protecting from the cold, the sun, is made of natural or synthetic threads;
- brocade - created by interweaving bright threads with a "rich" texture, perfectly retains heat in the room;
- poplin - has a medium density weave, a beautiful ribbed surface;
- satin - smooth, shiny, medium density material;
- cotton - light, airy, allows you to "separate" the room space from the street, but the light only partially blocks;
- viscose - is made from cellulose, glistens, crunches slightly, drapes remarkably;
- organza - usually created from blended fibers, it is hung on a cornice along with a denser fabric;
- different types of tulle - linen or silk lace, slightly scattering light. This includes the cobweb, veil, etc .;
- jacquard - has a very complicated pattern, it is a strong, dense material with medium light transmission;
- denim - cotton fabric with impurities, blocks light at an average level;
- shenill is a fleecy jacquard, quite textured look.
It is better to wet and iron any natural fabric beforehand - this will avoid shrinkage.
Calculation of drapery involves the presence of folds, because the material is purchased twice as wide as the window opening. To find out the cut height, 9-11 cm are added to the upper (half) length of the curtain, 1.5-2.5 to the lower. The length of the curtain is chosen by anyone: a very short one is suitable for the nursery, kitchen, elongated options to the floor are purchased in the living room and bedroom. The width is calculated as follows: to obtain beautiful folds, the length of the suspension is multiplied by two or three, when using thin tulle, the multiplication factor is 1.4-1.7.
It is important to consider allowances for seams: lateral - 13-16 cm, lower edge - 5-7 cm, upper depends on the width of the grommet, with the addition of at least two or three cm. If a soft, not too dense fabric is used, then the distance from the top edge to the ring is the most minimal. An approximate calculation is this: if the window width is 1.5 meters, the multiplication factor is 2.5, plus 15 cm for the seams, it turns out that 390 cm of fabric is required for sewing the curtains. When the amount of matter is calculated, proceed to determine the number of grommet rings.
For products consisting of two halves, a fitting pattern is usually required - then the textile is purchased with a margin.
The number of rings on each curtain is made even so that the edges are turned towards the window. Eyelets are selected 1.3-1.9 cm larger than the diameter of the cornice rod. To calculate the number, the width of the curtains is measured, divided by eight - the minimum allowable number of rings comes out. The average distance between them is from 14 to 23 cm. The curtain weight is also important - the heavier it is, the more rings will be needed.
Details are installed on neatly hemmed curtains with already finished edges. The exact distance between the parts can be calculated as follows: the future curtain is placed on a flat surface, the location of the extreme eyelets is marked with a pencil or small pencil. After the distance between the midpoints of the two side elements is measured, the resulting number is divided by the number of parts, appropriate marking is made.
Ways to install rings
For the correct installation of curtain rings, five to six cm recede from the edges, three or four from the top. It is important to correctly calculate the interval between the rings - it depends on the type of matter, the size of the round parts themselves. You need to install elements like this:
- put a grommet on the upper edge, glue it with an iron;
- bend, stitch the upper part;
- on the fabric mark the location of the rings, while starting from the edge;
- the very first grommet is installed three to five cm from the edge - it is placed in the right place, the inner circle is finely drawn;
- a hole is cut out - for this, five mm recede from the marking;
- the part is superimposed on both sides of the fabric, aligned and latched. When the elements that are not clicked are selected, special tools are used - a flare tool, a punch.
If it turns out that the grommet is set crookedly, it is removed, carefully reinstalled. The same thing is done if the part comes off during washing.
Necessary installation tools
Eyelets are most often installed manually, although there are a lot of special devices for these purposes. The main tool here is a special “punch for fabric”, which is capable of making round-shaped holes, it is also a press, tongs and a clamp. Devices are sometimes sold in kits, since multifunction devices are less convenient.
Devices for installing the described fittings are:
- manual ones - such as “cropodile”, collapsible hammers, tongs, punch, products like “Micron”, “Fiskars”, “Kangaro” and others;
- "Semi-automatic" - have a fairly high productivity - up to 1200-1350 rivets per hour, depending on the model;
- “Automatic machines” are large-sized machines used in mass production. For an hour they put tens of thousands of elements.
Most home craftswomen prefer to insert rings and their imitation using handheld devices.
Caring for curtains on eyelets
The usual care of curtains on grommets is quite simple - timely washing in a delicate mode (so as not to scratch the rings), ironing (for creasing fabrics). If possible, the parts are removed. For manual washing, it is not advisable to unscrew, strongly wring out the curtains - it is better to wait until the water drains from them, and hang a little damp on the windows. When machine washable, a special bag is used, the water temperature is 40-60 degrees. "Dry cleaning" is also acceptable - this is airing with open windows, vacuuming. For heavy soiling, dry cleaning is recommended.
Well-groomed, always excellent-looking curtains will decorate even the most modest interior in the best way and will not go unnoticed by guests.
Sewing curtains on the grommets is not difficult at all, if you have high-quality material, all the suitable tools. The finished product is able to decorate the hall, bedroom, kitchen, nursery and even office space. The most detailed master classes, ready-made instructions with a description of the necessary work are easy to find on popular sites for design and economics. A huge variety of types of matter, cornices, shapes and colors of curtain rings will create a unique room decoration.