Do-it-yourself paper leaves: how to make
Interior decoration with flowers and leaflets has been used for many centuries. But fresh, “living” foliage is not always accessible and convenient to use. Everyone is able to make leaves of paper with their own hands for decorating the holidays - no special financial investments are required for this, and most of the necessary materials and tools can be found at home.
Features: where to apply paper leaves
Paper decor is as cheap as possible, simple to execute, fits perfectly into any space. He comes out beautiful, and most importantly - made "with the soul." Most often it is used:
- like a festive table decor;
- for gift wrapping;
- in the form of garlands-extensions;
- for the design of the photo zone;
- creating original panels;
- as an inexpensive, but sincere gift;
- for updating the interior, giving it uniqueness;
- creating bouquets.
For the production of leafy decor, various types of paper, patterns from real foliage, and shiny jewelry are used.
Gift wrapping itself for small flat objects (for example, textiles, books, chocolates) is sometimes made in the form of a leaf. To do this, two large figures of the appropriate shape, such that the present fits freely between them, are cut out of thick (preferably craft) paper. Now the gift is put inside, the packaging is sewn on the sewing machine with large stitches, retreating from the edge of about one cm.
If there is any box, its cover or the entire surface is completely simply pasted over with colored silhouettes of leaves, arranging them randomly, with a little overlap. From five to seven volume elements, a “socket" is assembled by placing it in the center of the lid. It is permissible to glue the contours, sidewalls.
With the help of garlands it is easy, quick to decorate a room of any size. To make them, you need a strong thick thread - preferably to match the color of the main background of the room, a needle, colored double-sided cardboard, sharp scissors, a little transparent tape. For starters, stencils or manual patterns are drawn. You can even circle real leaves - maple, oak, birch, chestnut, etc. Next, the figures need to be cut out, with a needle or hole punch, make holes in them in two places. After that, a thread is threaded through the latter, which is neatly fixed with a small piece of adhesive tape.
A garland of narrow “fluffy” leaves, which some ornamental herbs have, looks beautiful. For their manufacture, colored paper is cut into strips of three by six to seven cm. The strips are rounded at the top and bottom, sharpened so that the product comes out believable. Then the future leaf is bent in half lengthwise, along its edges a “fringe” is cut, about two mm wide and up to one cm deep. The elements straighten out, slightly twist outward. If you take larger pieces of green paper for work, you can make realistic palm leaves - in addition, streaks are drawn on them. To create a garland, such details are fixed on a string with tape.
They also fasten the garland with scotch tape or tie it to furniture details, carnations on the walls.
Wreath of Autumn Leaves
Wreaths of paper leaves are a very popular way to decorate photo zones. Such an interesting object can be hung on the door, wall, above the window. At the "Autumn Festival" such a wreath can be worn on the head. The autumn period is most often associated with maple leaves - this wreath is from them.
How to make a wreath step by step:
- to work you need colored cardboard, a special hole punch “maple leaf”, double-sided colored paper, a pair of compasses or a large plate, a pencil, scissors, a satin ribbon (25-40 cm.);
- first, a circle with a diameter of 20-22 cm is drawn, in it is an inner circle, 16-18 cm in size .;
- the detail is cut so that a ring is obtained, to which the loop of tape is carefully glued;
- with the help of a “maple” hole punch red, orange, yellow, green, burgundy leaves are cut. Each color - five to seven pieces;
- the leaves are glued onto the round base slightly overlapping, alternating in color, heading in different directions - you can make a flat or volumetric wreath, slightly bending and straightening the details.
Origami Maple Leaf
Maple leaf is the most popular plant element. It is made both quite realistic and simpler. The Japanese, who invented origami, believe that you can do anything from a simple square of paper - in this case, a maple leaf for decoration.
From many such details, it is easy to assemble a wreath, a garland, a panel.
To create a composition of origami leaves, you need paper (white, color), cut in the form of squares. You also need a ruler (for ease of bending), PVA glue. For the decor they use "gifts of nature", beads, small stickers, watercolor or gouache paints, ground coffee, threads, pieces of fabric, felt, small buttons, doll eyes, etc.
A maple leaf is assembled from modules consisting of three parts. To create each element, a paper square is taken, bent along a vertical diagonal. After the right and left upper sides are bent to the center - this is how the central part of the “trefoil” module is formed. To make the sides, in addition to the middle, the lower two sides are bent - it turns out a rhombus, which are made in two. The “trefoil” is assembled with glue - a maple leaf is made of three such parts. As a stem use a strip of cardboard, a wooden stick. Sometimes "foliage" is hung on a string.
Ready origami is decorated in different ways - most often with a thin brush they draw veins, spots, create smooth transitions from color to color. It is permissible to colorize the squares in advance. If there are toy stamps, they are also used for decoration. You can grease the tips of the leaves with glue, and then sprinkle with ground coffee, poppy seeds, lupine grains, sparkles for nails, etc.
Sometimes funny faces are drawn on the leaves, cutting them out of old magazines, making hats, pen-legs, mustaches and beards. Products from crumpled craft paper, newspaper, music sheets look beautiful.
To create a panel, the foliage alternates with flowers, butterflies made of foamiran.
Options for making accordion leaves
To make an accordion sheet, colored paper needs to be corrugated. It is not necessarily a square blank that is used to create an item. Most often it is a triangle, rhombus, "herringbone", an intricate asymmetric part cut out according to a pattern. The standard height of the corrugation is five to nine mm, but it is permissible more if the product is very large.
For work, you need scissors, threads, a ruler, glue. The item is decorated with paints, rhinestones, beads, small seeds. If the product is intended to be painted, this is partially or completely done before the corrugation begins. Small details, contours, vein pattern, it is better to work out after the end of the main work.
You can make corrugated sheet in different ways:
- maple - a square (rectangle) of paper is folded in half along the vertical axis. On the outside, a wavy-pointed contour is drawn, like a real leaf. The workpiece is neatly cut out, opened - a symmetrical part is obtained. Then an accordion is formed - it is performed starting from the bottom - folds with a width of five to eight mm are bent using a ruler. When the "accordion" has turned out, the middle is found in it and folded in the "wide" side in half, glued together. At the base, on the bend, they attach a stalk of cardboard, sticks, lace;
- pointed - a rectangular piece of paper is folded in half, but the outline is drawn in a zigzag like a Christmas tree. Next, folds and gluing are performed, as is the case with maple;
- oak - for such a sheet you will need paper in the form of an elongated triangle. The contour is wavy, as clouds usually draw. Further, by folding back and forth, a “harmonica” is formed. The detail sticks together, slightly straightens at the edges;
- hornbeam (beech) - such trees have elongated leaves, pointed at the tip. The pattern is made of a triangle - the diagonal half of the square. The detail is folded, starting from the longest side, glued together, attached to the stem, panels, garland, etc .;
- birch (lime) - the outer contour here is an arc, pointed at the two lower corners. The item is folded accordion, glued, slightly straightened to give the desired shape;
- round - such leaves occur in some tropical trees, shrubs. For the manufacture you will need a rectangular piece of colored paper and a pair of compasses. The sector is last drawn on paper, cut out along the contour - an even semicircle is obtained. It is folded with an "accordion", after - it is glued in the right place, the handle is attached;
- narrow is a leaf of olive, willow. To execute it, you need a rectangle with an aspect ratio of one to five. It is folded in half, draw a straight line from the upper corner to the bottom.
From corrugated paper
Corrugated or “tissue” paper is a very fertile material for any “plant” crafts. It exists in a wide range of colors, but for leaves it is best to use green, yellow, red, burgundy.
How to make a rose leaf from corrugated paper:
- for work, you will need corrugated paper, a simple pencil, a ruler, quick-drying glue or glue gun, floristic wire, scissors, pliers;
- three squares with a side of five cm are cut from a single roll;
- each square is cut in half diagonally;
- a piece of eight cm long is cut from floristic wire with pliers;
- a strip of glue is applied to the wide side of the triangle, with a width of not more than one mm;
- the triangle is attached to the wire, after - the second, but so that the wire is not visible, and the corrugation goes from the middle to the top of the future sheet;
- excess glue is carefully removed, the edges of the paper are cut so that a slightly rounded shape comes out;
- for realism, the edges of the product are painted with wax crayons, pencils, also a small fringe is cut along the edges, one or two mm deep, slightly straightened;
- to get a characteristic three-leafed leaf, you need to make three identical sheets or make two side sheets a little smaller than the central one;
- a strip of a width of one cm and a length of 20 cm is cut from a roll of corrugated paper;
- the leaves on the wires are folded together, the paper strip is smeared with glue, wound on a "stalk" consisting of three wires;
- the sheet plates are straightened to the sides, slightly bent to give a realistic look.
From paper using quilling technique
To make such a leaf, the paper is cut into narrow long strips, four to seven mm wide. You can purchase a special set for quilling, containing several dozen already cut strips of different colors.
Also for manufacturing you will need:
- sheet outline drawn on paper;
- thick cardboard, board;
- invisible pins;
- PVA glue;
- a toothpick or thin needle;
- ruler with circles;
- transparent film, adhesive tape.
- rolls are twisted from paper strips by wrapping around a knitting needle;
- the sheet template is attached to the board, glued with tape so that the future product does not stick to the template;
- pins are stuck at the “vertices” of the drawn sheet;
- to make the basis (veins), a strip of paper is folded in half, wrapped around a pin. Both parts are glued together, crimped with tweezers or fingers;
- contours are also performed in the same way, after which they need to be filled in - a contrast color is used for this;
- rolls of different sizes are twisted to fill. They need to be flattened, giving a drop-shaped, oval shape or the appearance of a comma;
- the resulting elements are pasted inside the sheet;
- the outer contour for strength is glued with another paper strip in the color of the veins;
- the finished product is freed from pins, attached to a thread, a garland, a panel.
The art of the vytyanka means the creation of delicate patterns and elements from black, white, colored paper. Presumably, such art arose in ancient China, almost immediately after the invention and ubiquity of paper. Such leaves are cut according to the patterns, they adorn the walls, window glasses, mirrors, and the leaves hanging from the ceiling on thin strings look beautiful. No less often wreaths are made from such objects, including voluminous ones. For autumn vysytanka used mainly yellow, brown, red-orange paper. From a regular album sheet, hand-painted, an excellent ejected leaf will also come out.
With the help of soapy water, scotch tape, the tubs are easily glued to the window.
To complete this craft you will need:
- stationery (breadboard) knife or manicure scissors;
- template (drawn independently or downloaded from the Internet, printed);
- a simple pencil;
- colored paper;
- a board or a special rug (so as not to damage the table);
The vytynanka leaf is done like this:
- the template is transferred to paper - it is carefully drawn with a pencil, the lines should be as clear as possible;
- cutting is done with a very sharp clerical knife or manicure scissors. When cutting with a knife, the template is fixed on the board with tape so that it does not move out;
- begin to cut with the smallest details. Everything that is cut out is immediately cleaned;
- after they cut out larger internal parts, then - the outer contour;
- the finished product is attached to a thread, window glass, panels.
If you want to make a lot of identical in shape, but different in color objects, lay several layers of paper under the template, cutting through all of them at the same time.
Handmade paper is one of the most popular areas of decor for home, office premises, and festive halls. Step-by-step master classes with detailed instructions for making paper leaves are easy to find on the Internet - even the child is able to complete the simplest of them. Decorating the autumn interior with colorful figures is a great idea, uplifting even in dull rainy weather.