DIY table decor
Did you get the imagination to decorate your old home furniture with your own hands? Boldly get down to business - the result is worth it. You will receive a new piece of furniture that is completely different from the rest, and spend time realizing the craving for creativity that every person has. It’s best to start an art experiment with a simple object having a small flat surface, i.e. to think over and execute a table decor. And then, having tried some techniques, having improved your skills, you can proceed to decorating more complex objects.
Draw up an action plan
Any work, especially if you are doing it for the first time, requires a clear plan. Performing simple individual points, it will be easier for you to achieve the desired result. Imagine yourself as a commander, developing the course of the upcoming battle in accordance with all the rules of martial art. In order to win, you need to have a clear idea of the terrain, think out a strategy, attract the necessary human resources, deliver ammunition, and also choose the right time for the offensive.
Having drawn the analogies, create your own algorithm of actions:
- Decide which table you will decorate (kitchen or writing, street or indoor).
- Browse through illustrated magazines or photos on interior sites - select interesting designs.
- Learn in theory your favorite decor method.
- Prepare the necessary materials and tools.
- Take on board the phrase from the film “Wizards” by the Strugatsky brothers “The main thing is to believe in yourself, not to see obstacles” and you will succeed.
Choose a decoration method
There are so many options for decorating a horizontal surface that painting lovers, collage makers, collectors of all stripes, and craftsmen to assemble a single whole from pieces will find a suitable one for themselves. The beginners will master the decor of the wooden table with their own hands, and for “advanced users” the creation of such interior objects may become an opportunity to make a special gift to a friend, loved one or relatives. In this case, it is necessary to take into account the style characteristics of the furnishings of these people's apartments.
Attention! The decor method should be selected based on the location of the table and the degree of its operation.
Decoupage is not suitable for a summer cottage table for family-wide meals in the open air. In this case, a durable coating that is resistant to precipitation and abrasion is required. The game or computer table in the nursery is also subjected to heavy loads, so it should be decorated so that the mother’s heart does not flow painfully when the child draws “barbarously” directly on the surface or sticks plasticine to it. But cabinet, boudoir or attached tables can be decorated more “gently”, because their use does not imply heavy loads.
|Table appointment||Type of operation||Production material||Type of decoration||disadvantages|
|Country||Year-round, exposed to temperature changes, precipitation||Concrete||Mosaic tile||Tile glue skills required, clear time requirements|
|Painted concrete, creating curly supporting structures (bas-relief, sculpture)||High degree of difficulty in manufacturing, time frame for working with concrete|
|Wood||Staining, stenciling, stain, tinting||Pre-treatment with anti-rotting preparations (colorless) is required, after 2-3 years a complete restoration of the paint layer will be required|
|Children||Active impact when playing games||Wood||Staining, drawing||A change in children's interests leads to a change in the drawing|
|Plastic||The use of self-adhesive fragments (films) of suitable subjects||After some time of use, the edges of the stickers become sloppy|
|Magazine||Insignificant||Wood||Decoupage||Requires careful handling|
|"Under the glass"||The edges of the glass cloth must be carefully sanded to avoid cuts.|
|Volumetric picture||Dust is clogged into the gap between the frame and glass, which is difficult to remove|
Everyone in the soul is an artist
The easiest way to give the old table a new life is to use paint. There are many variations of decoration:
- full monochromatic coloring (a bright small table will become an accent of a room decorated in modern styles)
- geometric coloring in different tones (in this case, the table decor implies a combination of stripes, squares, other figures, visual illusions can be created on its surface, and the legs with the base can be painted in the main color)
- drawing a contrasting pattern on a plain surface using a stencil (patterns are used in the form of borders, individual elements, a central volumetric outlet, fonts)
- Art painting a la modern, Provence, Art Nouveau, variations of Russian or Oriental styles (if you don’t feel the artist’s talent to freely paint in your favorite style, do copying, picking out a suitable ornamental motif)
To apply a geometric pattern you will need: a simple pencil, ruler, sandpaper (coarse and fine-grained), primer, quick-drying paint on wood, masking tape, flat brushes of various widths.
Attention! If color spots are very bulky, use small rollers with the finest pore sponge. A roller with a pile or large pores will leave visible marks on the surface. However, if your goal is an additional relief effect, then a similar tool will allow you to get it.
We work according to plan - we get a unique interior object
Having prepared the necessary tools to give the table a new look, do the following in sequence:
- Create a sketch for your drawing.
- Treat the entire table with a large emery cloth, then carefully go through the shallow one.
- If you want to get to natural wood from an old painted table, then you will need special compositions that remove the colorful coating, and a spatula.
- Carefully dedust the prepared product (a vacuum cleaner, a well-wrung cloth will come in handy).
- After complete drying, coat the entire surface with a primer.
- Turn the table over, paint over the legs, the underframe, the underside of the countertop with the main color, let the paint dry well.
- Return the table to its traditional position, transfer a sketch to it with a pencil using a ruler.
- Outline the borders of the first color spot with masking tape.
- Paint over the resulting window (do not put too much paint on the brush, uneven thickness of the paint layer leads to the formation of sagging, which will not add aesthetic appeal to the decoration object).
- Carefully remove the masking tape without waiting for the paint to dry to preserve the sharpness of the border.
- Continue painting over the shapes sequentially. The joint elements can only be filled after the previous element has completely dried and glued along the joint line of the masking tape.
- After your sketch is completely transferred to the surface of the table, leave the object to dry, and then (if you want to get a glossy surface) cover it with varnish.
Transparent top, tight bottom
An interesting option for decorating a table is to use glass of a suitable size to create a “picture”.
In the first case, under the glass cut exactly to the size of the countertops, collages from any images, old postcards, photographs, children's drawings, a composition of dried flowers, leaves, a fan of sheet music or a page of pre-revolutionary books are placed. Thick glass tightly presses the "exposure", its elements can almost not be glued together. Having lifted the glass, it is easy to replace the annoying visual line and place a new collection in a prominent place.
In the second case, the edges of the table are formed by the sides of the required height (bars). Glass is laid on top of the sides, capturing a small part of them, and the remaining width of the bar is decorated with a baguette of suitable width and design. The table and bars are painted, the tabletop can be pasted over with a cloth (canvas, jeans, velvet), on which collections of small items (lighters, antique keys, serving items, interesting buttons, embroideries and braid, miniature paintings, rare pocket-sized books will look spectacularly) ) Filling the space under the glass depends on the place designed to accommodate such an unusual interior object.