DIY dollhouse furniture
Everyone once was a child, independently or with the help of adults, made the first attempts to build a miniature city, to equip a doll-room interior in his playroom. Some children bought standard store toys, while others made cars, houses, soft toys, and even do-it-yourself doll furniture, saving the family’s budget.
What available tools, materials can come in handy
To create doll furniture, decorate the interior of a toy house, it will be useful:
- matchboxes - they will become drawers of chests of drawers, writing and dressing tables, cabinets, dressers for linen;
- cigarette packs - suitable for Barbie's wardrobe equipment, storage of her boots;
- shoe boxes - beds, tables, cabinets for large dolls will come out of them;
- boxes of baby porridge, perfume, other cosmetics;
- colored plastic bottles, glasses of yogurt;
- soft foam sponges, viscose wipes;
- pieces of plywood, fiberboard, wood cuts, boards;
- scraps of fabric, leather, gauze;
- plastic "eggs" from kinder surprises;
- the remains of wire, chains, foil;
- sewing, knitting threads, laces;
- metal cans;
- paper, cardboard, wallpaper, PVA glue;
- adhesive tape, colored self-adhesive film;
- polystyrene, plasticine, polymer clay;
- gouache, acrylic, nail polish;
- beads, buttons, LED flashlights.
With minimal skills in wood carving, sewing manually or on a typewriter, embroidery, it is easy to create incredible doll crafts.
Workshops on making doll furniture
When creating a home-made dollhouse interior, you should start with the arrangement of the main rooms - usually a kitchen, a bedroom, a dressing room.
The most common furniture items:
- chairs and a table;
- bedside table;
- chest of drawers;
- cabinet, including corner;
- sofa and kitchen sofa;
- a cupboard;
- a table for the kitchen.
Furniture from boxes
Matchbox furniture sets are the least time-consuming way to create an internal dollhouse design.
To make a mini chest of drawers or a dressing table, you will need:
- six to ten matchboxes;
- PVA glue or any other;
- colored paper or decoupage napkins;
- thick cardboard;
How it's done:
- matchboxes are glued to each other so that all drawers can be freely extended;
- cardboard top is glued on top;
- all visible surfaces are pasted over with paper, napkins, a self-adhesive film, painted with gouache;
- four wooden beads in the shape of cones will become the legs of a table or chest of drawers, round beads or small buttons will become the handles of drawers.
In approximately the same way, a dressing or writing table with two curbstones is made.
To make such a thing as a toy coffee or dining table, you will need:
- piece of plywood;
- PVA glue;
- acrylic paint;
What do we have to do:
- a drawing of the details of the table is depicted on paper, after which it is transferred to the plywood sheet;
- two circles are cut from plywood - one more, the other a little less;
- then two arcuate details are made, on one of which a slot is made in the center top, on the second - from the bottom;
- in the last turn, two rectangular parts are cut, almost equal in length to the diameter of the smaller circle, in them cuts are also made in the center;
- the construction is greased with glue, assembled, painted with paint, dried.
Stools are made of similar smaller parts.
A natural folding sofa will come out of natural wood and textile, the manufacture of which will require:
- a board about one centimeter thick;
- hacksaw or jigsaw;
- flat furniture hinges;
- furniture fabric;
- foam rubber;
- paper for a pattern;
- self-tapping screws;
- thread, needle.
- two rectangular details of the base, the bottom, two armrests are cut from the board;
- all details are circled on paper, then the patterns are transferred to the fabric;
- the bottom is glued with ends to the armrests;
- parts of the base are fastened together with loops, attached to the armrests on screws;
- all parts are glued with a cloth, and the foam rubber is glued to the two main parts;
- a fringed rug is knitted on the resulting folding design, small pillows are sewn.
At the bottom of the sofa is sometimes made a drawer made of plywood for storing bedding.
From cardboard according to templates, schemes
To make cardboard boxes, corrugated cardboard, a cabinet in miniature, first create a sketch, decide what parts the future product will consist of. Schemes of some products can be downloaded from the Internet, printed on a printer, and then transferred to thick cardboard.
For the manufacture of a modern cabinet, which fits the entire doll’s wardrobe, you need:
- cardboard box;
- corrugated cardboard;
- self-adhesive film;
- scissors or clerical knife;
- metal rod;
- thin wire;
- jewelry in the form of beads.
According to pre-made templates, parts are cut out - sidewalls, top and bottom of the cabinet, back wall, doors. The structure is assembled, glued with a film, a metal rod is inserted between the sidewalls, on which hangers-hangers made of wire cling. A foil is glued onto one of the doors - it will be a mirror. Door handles are made of two large beads, the front of the product is decorated with smaller ones.
If desired, you can make a cabinet with sliding doors - the “rail” for them is also made of cardboard.
Thin paper tubes come out furniture that imitates rattan or wicker, for the house in an ecological style.
Of materials, tools needed:
- thick cardboard;
- thin paper;
- a thick needle or an awl;
- paper knife;
- wooden sticks;
- PVA glue;
- acrylic paint;
Two parts of the future countertop are cut out of cardboard - holes for legs are made in the corners of one awl, and holes for paper racks are made around the perimeter. Wooden legs are attached to the corners of the structure with glue, paper racks are threaded into the remaining holes. The top of the second element of the countertop is pasted over with colored squares, imitating an oilcloth, and then glued to the first part. Weaving is done with paper tubes, by threading them from top to bottom, alternating in each row. The last row is braided with a pigtail, the finished product is painted in a light brown color. Chairs are made about the same way.
Paper tubes are obtained from strips of paper tightly wound diagonally on a thin needle and secured with glue.
Textile chair-bag is made of soft fabric and any stuffing - foam rubber, padding polyester, cotton wool. On the textile material, one symmetrical part of the seat and the bottom, two symmetrical side ones are circled. The product is stitched, twisted, tightly packed.
For the production of a round ottoman, two round details are cut out of the fabric, one is rectangular, slightly longer in length than the circumference of the bottom and top. The rectangular part is pinned up, connected to the round, stuffed with pieces of padding polyester. The resulting product is decorated with lace and beads.
How to make furniture from metal cans of drinks
Such furniture is suitable for luxurious furnishings in the Empire or Baroque style. To make a throne chair, a luxurious doll chair, the top is cut off from the can, the side parts are cut into strips three to four millimeters wide, the design is turned over. Some of the stripes remain below - the legs of the stool are twisted from them, the rest become lace armrests, the back. To make a product with a soft seat, a round pillow with soft stuffing is made, glued to the seat.
A crib with a canopy, a gap, lace bedding, resembles an object for an old "palace" bedroom. For the manufacture of such an item, a frame is made - a rectangular base on legs that turn into racks on which a lace canopy is attached. The basis is made out with a knitted mattress, with foam padding, the same pads. Lacy bedding, oversight, are made separately. Racks are also tied with a hook in a spiral, their tops are decorated with lush bows.
The design of the room is complemented by a cradle, the frame for which is made of wire or “muzle” - a design that secures the cork in a bottle of champagne. The cradle is tied with lace, decorated with bows, the color of which depends on the gender of the baby doll for which it is intended. Here you have to "in the subject" round knitted rug, fireplace with tied flames.
Plastic corks, match boxes, tied with thin threads, will become chairs, tables, chairs, cots for toys from Kinder surprises.
Ideas for making furniture from other materials
Furniture is easy to make from other improvised materials, unnecessary items:
- wooden spools of thread - two glued one on top of the other, are made out of round or square tabletops made of cardboard, plywood glued on top. Stools are made in the same way, but each will go one coil. Finished products are stained with gouache, nail polish;
- colored wire - depending on the thickness, from it you can completely weave chairs, chairs, sideboards or create frames that are later covered with textile;
- from an "iron constructor" or lego parts - such products become real "modular furniture", which, if desired, is easy to assemble, disassemble, turning into something else. For each version of the assembled product, a suitable cover is sewn, which is worn-removed as necessary;
- with the help of ice cream sticks, something similar to the nowadays popular furniture made of euro-pallets, used for loft-style rooms, art-beliefs is created. Mini sticks are glued from sticks, from which tables, sofas, etc. are later assembled;
- from colored polymer clay, cut into pieces of plastic rulers, it is easy to create furniture for a toy kitchen. Plastic parts are glued with PVA or rubber glue, taps, door handles, gas burners are carefully molded from polymer clay of a suitable color;
- a set of wooden clothespins, previously spared the metal connecting part, will help create a real garden furniture, reminiscent of decorated carvings, for a small doll. Details are attached to carpentry glue, the finished structure is painted with stain or acrylic;
- very small sofas will come out of the corks of wine - for this, a base is glued from two or four pieces, onto which a soft seat is later glued. Another cork is cut into circles, about five millimeters thick - these will be the back and armrests. For a rocking chair, the ends are cut off at the cork, the rest is cut lengthwise. Parts of the seat are connected at right angles, glued to the round armrests. A glamorous coffee table will come out if you take six corks, glue them two in height, make them in the upper and lower slots, in which with the help of glue fasten the shiny CDs;
- from the plastic oval container in which herring is usually sold, a doll-bath will come out. For this, it is necessary to cut off all unnecessary protruding parts from it, fashion intricate legs, cranes from plastic, arrange the sides;
- from plastic eggs from kinder surprises, four bolts and a lid from a box of cotton buds you get a dining table. Of the other colored eggs of this kind, there are several small stools;
- two plastic containers placed on top of each other, if they cut off the front wall, will become a sofa - it remains only to sew a cover or pillows. As an option - make soft parts from multi-colored foam sponges.
Dollhouse Decor Elements
The decor of the toy house is made from almost any material at hand:
- the floor lamp is made of a stick, an empty rod from a ballpoint pen, firmly fixed to the base. Colored beads are strung on the rod, a cork is fixed on the top, along the edge of which a lampshade is glued - lace or corrugated paper;
- A simple chandelier is mounted on the ceiling of the doll house. It is weaved from beads and fishing line, made of a plastic egg with slots, and a small LED light bulb is inserted inside, with a battery and a switch;
- from a large button or lid from baby food, you get a real wall clock. The frame, the stand for them, is made of cardboard or polymer clay, the plane itself is decorated with colored paper, wire arrows;
- the mirror on the wall is made of foil, and walnut shells are used to create flower pots, plants for which can be made from dried flowers, moss or polymer clay of a suitable color.
About ready-made plywood constructors
Ready-made plywood constructors are cut with a jigsaw according to the design templates, the buyers of this set independently assemble and stick together. In fact, this is a wooden blank for creativity, which not only needs to be assembled correctly in accordance with the instructions, but also painted, decorated in any convenient way. Such a product develops constructive thinking, becoming an entertaining puzzle for the whole family. Sometimes a set of collapsible furniture comes complete with the same plywood house or lock.
Original furniture for Barbie, Winx, other dolls, animals, fairy-tale creatures is easily made with your own hands. In a large cardboard box, a wooden box, on the table, you can equip a full-fledged dollhouse mini-apartment, with all the necessary accessories. Many toy furnishings are able to craft even for younger students with a little parental help.